Wednesday, September 19, 2012


                                                        " Discourage Brought Me Through"

              Seeing and thinking back to myself as a student has made me strive harder to reach my goal. As I was ending Catholic school 5th through 8th grade beginning Public high-school 9-12th grade, it was the educational period that helped me realize how valuable education was to the future generation. I have had teachers that influenced me and some that tried to discourage me in learning. The change I had to go through as a student with different teachers helped me recognize that I wanted to become a teacher and educate the upcoming. I want children to understand and know that I am there for them.
            During this period I went through, Catholic school was strict where I had to be in uniform every day. Prayers were said throughout the day and when walking through the halls you could hear a pen drop. My teachers in Catholic school taught classes with much energy that encouraged me always wanting to learn every day. The way they taught showed me that they cared and wanted me to succeed in life. Teaching is not just anything you can wake up to and go do it. You need experience, practice, and the heart to want to help these kids learn education. The teachers in my Catholic school showed that love for teaching towards me.
            Going through the transition from Catholic school, Public school wasn’t as strict. The hallways were much louder than Catholic school, not to say that order wasn't kept but I felt more freely being able to talk in the hallways while going to my next class. The teachers in the classroom were very care less and didn't show any feelings to whether assignments were done or completed. It gave me the feeling inside that it did not matter to them if I was interested in the class or not. I did not let their actions discourage me because it only  made me push myself harder in my classes. I had to show them that I actually cared about my education and wanted to be someone in life.To make my vision of teaching become a reality I always and still tell myself "I will not give up on becoming a teacher".
            In this period of my educational life, I was able to learn that education is one of the most valuable aspects of our lives. Even though there will be teachers that won't show interest as I would want them to, I will always remember the teachers that did show me they cared. This period in my life as a student has pushed me to become a teacher and to give students the education I didn't receive. I am going into teaching because education is the most important thing for children in life. I know I will be able to have my children learning above and beyond.The discourage from high-school has made me fight harder for what I want to achieve.


1 comment:

  1. Sherita,

    I think you chose a lovely thing to focus on--how you turn discouragement into drive! That's a good power to have in this world! And it can be hard for some people to focus in on a topic to the degree you have. Some people will just choose "fifth grade" and that will also be the title of their paper. Some will choose one vent and describe it, which is great when done well. But you found a theme to describe your overall experience--great job!

    I think you did a really nice job organizing this paper, too--splitting the two periods of school into two separate body paragraphs was a good move.

    If anything, there may be some word choice or phrasing issues that make this less effective. I sense you want to develop a strong, clear voice, so you can fight for education better! You clearly have all the energy and organizing power you need--try working on word choice and structure if you want to take this to the next level. If you want some guidance on that, just ask me.

    Also, you could make this even better by showing us examples of the "caring" teacher and the "doesn't care" teacher. What do they do? body language, eye contact, tone of voice, specific interactions with children and your evidence of the effects. THAT would be great!

    ReplyDelete